4/02/2008

Working Out Again

We decided to join a nice little gym nearby today. It's called Snap Fitness and we happened to notice it a few weeks back when we were shopping at Basha's (our new favorite grocery store). It was a small place tucked into the same strip mall as Basha's and at first we thought they sold exercise equipment. But, no, they're a gym!

We met a really nice young guy, Steve, who told us all about their programs. We liked the place because it was small and unpretentious. Most of the gyms we'd seen out here were these huge things like Bally's with attitudes to match. This place is the size of a store with state of the art machines as well as old school free weights. It's sort of like an updated and nicer version of our old gym back in South Carolina.

We actually joined Monday but Tuesday was our orientation where they show you how to use all the machines and make sure you're doing things correctly so you don't get hurt. That was really nice. They also do a free session where they set up your exercise program if you want. Michael wasn't interested in that too much being the ex-jock but I may consider it at some point.

The guy who did our orientation, John, showed me a couple alternate things to do when I discovered one of the machines really pulled my abs. That's a big no-no after the hernia repair in December. It was weird because it was a sitting row. Anyway, he showed me how to work the same arm and shoulder muscles using the cable machine so I didn't strain anything.

So, we're back to working out. Hopefully, I can drop some of the weight I've picked up over the past several months and begin building some muscle. I really did like having a bit of muscle before I had to stop everything because of the incisional hernia.

If you're in Tucson and would like to try it out, let me know and I can arrange for a free pass for you to work out. If you're not in Tucson, they still have them all over the USA so you should be able to find one nearby.

No comments:

Links