7/26/2008

Book Review

The Lords of Discipline The Lords of Discipline by Pat Conroy

rating: 5 of 5 stars
I was introduced to this book at Pat Conroy by my high school algebra teacher. She was reading the book just after it came out and suggested that we all read it. I think I may have been the only one who did.

I immediately fell in love with this work. Conroy's descriptions of Charleston are priceless. Some of my favorite quotes come from this book.

I return to this work yearly to explore my old friends once more and with each reading I find a nuance that I had overlooked in the past.

From the opening passages where Will McLean says that "walking the streets of Charleston in August is like walking through gauze or inhaling damaged silk." To the tragic, yet triumphant ending this book remains a fascinating snapshot of a period in southern history that is both specific and timeless.

A wonderful primer on the love/hate relationship many intelligent and progressive Southerners have with their own beloved part of the world.

View all my reviews.

No comments:

Links