8/04/2008

Review: To Kill a Mockingbird

To Kill a Mockingbird To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee

rating: 5 of 5 stars
One of my two favorite books of all time. TKAM along with The Lords of Discipline reflects my own love-hate relationship with my native part of America. Both books tend to be brutally honest about the incipient racism that still permeates the South.

However, on a deeper level Lee challenges her readers to evaluate their own perspective and level of compassion. One of my favorite quotes about being true to your own conscience comes from this work.

In many ways I consider this a primer for Conroy's work since Lee talks to us about recognizing our own conscience and beginning to act with compassion. Conroy in The Lords of Discipline take us to the next step and challenge us to look at that compassion and root out any selfish aims in acting on it.

View all my reviews.

No comments:

Links